Sunday, September 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Hi new follower!

It's nice to be back home after what seems like an eternity in a hotel. To answer a few common questions and comments: There was no spa there. The room service menu sucked and I couldn't justify the price, so I skipped it (for the first time ever, I think). And the tourists drove me nuts. However, I was asked for directions a few times, so I must have looked like a local.

Home sweet home, you ask? Yes, I am home. Which means my transfer was yesterday. Top Doc's clinic notified me yesterday morning (after I called them because the nurse forgot) that I would be having a 3-day transfer in the very early afternoon. I guess Top Doc does not necessarily mean Top Nurse.

So it was a WTF, get the shit together, and get the hell out the door kind of morning. So much for being relaxed awaiting transfer. Mr. W and I scrambled to pack the luggage and check out of the hotel. I jumped on the internet and booked us a flight home immediately following the transfer, assuming we would catch the hail mary pass to the airport. And then we hiked ourselves and all of our luggage to the clinic. It reminded me of the luggage schlepping of one (or more) of our trips to Europe. Only it wasn't Europe. And clearly this wasn't a vacation.

It was Top Doc's Saturday to work and she was her usual warm, positive without being fake, self.
She had great advice and suggestions for our transfer decisions. The embryologist wheeled the little IVF cart over to my room and plugged it into an oxygen port nearby. She loaded the catheter for Top Doc. And then poof! We were done (with a little effort and a little pain -I've still got that damn cervix that's wound tight as a knot.) I chilled out for a few minutes while she brought in the embryo records and a picture and then said I could go. She doesn't require bed rest after a transfer (crazy, huh?) but said to take it easy and no lifting. I had already cleared flying beforehand, so we were on our way.

Our flight left 2 hours after my scheduled transfer time, so it was going to be a tight one, but in the end, everything went off without a hitch. I did spend the remainder of the day in bed with the purry ones but I am feeling great. No PIO, thankyouverymuch. And home just in time to catch the last of the blackberries for a batch of jam.

Now just looking for suggestions to pass the 2ww.


  1. congrats!!! The 2ww - if you like to read, lots and lots of books. I always tried to do something different but I never did - it was googling successes/failures all day every day. I hope that you find some great things to pass the time.

  2. WOOHOO!! No suggestions for how to pass the time. Unless you happen to have a great big old box of pee sticks around somewhere...

    Seriously, I'll be stalking. Wishing you the very best of good luck for this one!

  3. Welcome home and welcome to the 2ww! I'm halfway through and LOSING MY MIND!!!

  4. welcome home!
    so, that last part of your trip sounds a little nutty! Glad it went well and wishing you ALL THE BEST-- and the two week wait? how about some haikus!
    no really, I have non idea myself luckily I will be busy as hell. i just hope to stay calm, and I hope you do too.
    happy blackberry jam (YUM)


  5. Thought I commented yesterday but no - clearly not.
    So, welcome home K. Congrats you are now PUPO so enjoy it! It may be a way of dealing with the 2ww. instead of wondering am i? maybe we can just enjoy the idea of it and go with the flow till someone burst our bubble with the reality - you know - actually being preggers!
    Good Luck !!

  6. Welcome home! It sounds like quite a crazy trip, but at least you're there now. So at the moment you are officially knocked up! Definitely take it easy. Let those little ones settle in slowly. They won't start to implant until the 4th day post transfer! I'm so excited for you and hope you'll get your BFP in 2 short weeks!

  7. Congrats on your transfer!! I hope the next 2 weeks pass quickly and uneventfully.

  8. Wow! What an incredible sounding whirlwind of a day. I'm glad you made it home so you had a real purring mass instead of kittycam to keep you company. How to pass the 2WW? Hmmmmmmmm...making jam seems to already have made it on the to do list. How about a fun indie music movie like "The Commitments" or "Once"? How about a girls musical movie night with the "Gypsy" or "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"?

    On the serious note, all of my best wishes that this turns out with all the happiness in the world for you and your husband. I'll be sending some love and magic down the coastline.